Portals are a new feature that are being added into Eden on the 2.0 Update. Not much is know about them, but some have hinted about a color coded system, where, for example, if one portal block is green, it connects to another green portal block with the same shade or color. These will allow the user to teleport from point A to point B instantly, which would make traveling much easier and people could have more spread out worlds as well.
It has been stated that Portals will behave like the portals in Valve's Portal and Portal 2. This means that two connected portals will allow the the user to travel between them. This may also mean that you will be able to see what is on the other side of the portal by looking throughout the portal. In the current picture from Ari, you are not able to see through the portals, but this feature may be added before the release of Portals. Ari has confirmed that momentum will be conserved between Portals. This means that if you are riding an Ice Slide and pass through a portal while on it, you will go the same speed as you went through it.
- If you look closely at the side of any portal, you can see that the texture (excluding the portal part) is just 2 stone blocks stacked on top of each other.
- Creatures will be able to go through portals when they are released.
- Portals are 2 blocks tall and 1 block wide.
- As Ari Ronnen stated, The current appearance of the portal is just placeholder art. It will change when the update is released.
- It will be released soon.
- You can move faster than on Ice.